Download our NEW Mobile App!
4002 Garth Rd #140a, Baytown, TX 77521 | Phone: (281) 628-7186 | Fax: (281) 628-7188 | Mon-Fri: 9a.m.-7p.m. | Sat: 11a.m.-2p.m. | Sun: Closed
Birdsongs Pharmacy Logo

Get Healthy!

Longtime Head of 9/11 Health Program Let Go Amid Federal Job Cuts
  • Posted April 3, 2025

Longtime Head of 9/11 Health Program Let Go Amid Federal Job Cuts

The longtime leader of a federal health program for 9/11 survivors and first responders has been fired, worrying many advocates and lawmakers.

The program serves more than 100,000 people.

Dr. John Howard, head of the World Trade Center Health Program, lost his job during a wave of government job cuts ordered by U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr

The Trump administration says these cuts are part of efforts to reduce the size of the federal workforce.

The program is run by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), where Howard also served as director.

While the program’s 86 full-time staff were not affected, hundreds of NIOSH employees were let go -- including many doctors and scientists who supported the program for years, The Washington Post reported.

Advocates say these cuts could hurt the program’s ability to care for sick responders and survivors.

“It’s just wrong that we are spending time and energy on this,” Benjamin Chevat, an advocate for 9/11 survivors and first responders who helped create the program, told The Post. “It could have been avoided if they had spent 10 minutes calling Dr. Howard up.”

An HHS spokesperson did not comment directly on Howard’s removal, but said the program’s work will continue.

“HHS’ reorganization will allow the program to better serve these individuals in a more efficient way,” spokesperson Vianca Rodriguez Feliciano said.

Rep. Andrew Garbarino of New York met with White House officials to express concern. “They understand that this is a top priority and are treating it with a sense of urgency,” Garbarino said.

Sens. Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York also expressed their concerns.

“Slashing staff who are essential to the operation of the World Trade Center Health Program will devastate our ability to provide sick responders and survivors with the care they need,” Gillibrand said.

Howard led the program for more than 10 years and was seen by many as the heart of the operation.

He was first appointed to NIOSH in 2002 and helped shape the government’s health response after the 9/11 attacks.

He was reappointed multiple times under both administrations, The Post reported.

“He’s the father of the program,” Don Mihalek, executive vice president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association Foundation, said of Howard.

Mihalek, a former Secret Service agent, has been part of the program since it started. 

“My hope is that this was an unforced error, and that on reflection Secretary Kennedy will say, ‘Wait, what did we just do,’ and fix it,” Mihalek said to The Post. Even if it was an accident, he added, “it causes needless drama.”

Earlier this year, the administration reversed a decision to cut the program's funding after backlash from both parties.

More information

Learn more about the U.S. Health and Human Services Department.

SOURCE: The Washington Post, April 2, 2025

HealthDay
Health News is provided as a service to Birdsongs Pharmacy site users by HealthDay. Birdsongs Pharmacy nor its employees, agents, or contractors, review, control, or take responsibility for the content of these articles. Please seek medical advice directly from your pharmacist or physician.
Copyright © 2025 HealthDay All Rights Reserved.

Share

Tags